3/3/14

The Horshack Redemption #12: Humanoids from the Deep (1980)



Gilligan and the Prof review the 1980 monster movie Humanoids from the Deep. Our discussion, as always, weaves through the pop culture landscape of yesteryear, where we discuss everything from evil ventriloquist dummies to gratuitous nudity.  A good time was had by all.

Our top 3 list for the week is "TV shows that we enjoyed as a child in the 70s and 80s, but suck hard upon reviewing as an adult".  You won't want to miss this.

How to Listen:



  • You can listen through Retrospace (via the web player above): I'll deliver a post with the web player every time we record a new episode.


  • You can subscribe if you have an RSS feed reader: http://horshackredemption.libsyn.com/rss


  • You can bookmark the Horshack Redemption web page: http://horshackredemption.libsyn.com/


  • You can download this podcast:
    http://traffic.libsyn.com/horshackredemption/Horshack_Redemption_Ep012.mp3


  • Listen to us on.iTunes and STITCHER, and be sure to give us a "like" or a "thumbs up" if you enjoy it

  • 7 comments:

    1. You guys should trademark "Blue Balls Award", lol! Hysterical, great review of a personal favorite!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I haven't finished yet, but I like your comments on the TV shows. Most of them I never watched but my wife watched them all. Once I was 16 I was never home to watch much TV, and then I joined the Army and didn't watch much TV, certainly not sitcoms. That was the time of Miami Vice and Moonlighting. I do love the Bob Newhart show, then and especially now. We got the first disc of Differn't Strokes from Netflix and it wasn't that bad. I don't think we'll get any more though.

      ReplyDelete
    3. MisfitDollMarch 06, 2014

      Great Top 3 list as usual. For me, Too Close for Comfort was that sitcom that, as a family in the early 80s, thought was a riot! Sadly, recent viewings were not as pleasurable (although the great Ted Knight still made the material somewhat palatable.) And it contains one of the all time supermely uncomfortable "Special Episode" moments when Monroe was raped by a gang of women. Complete with wisecracking cops!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I think the trend for deadly serious episodes in comedies was a reaction to the comedies of the 60s which ignored the huge social changes going on (Vietnam, Civil Rights, assassinations, sexual revolution) and instead gave us completely escapist comedies about witches, monsters, castaways and hillbillies. All in the Family was a revolutionary show because it finally broke this pattern and had characters referring to real world events and real personal problems. Then the pendulum swung way too far in other direction in the 70s and 80s with super serious and depressing episodes in “comedies” like Facts of Life.

      As for Different Strokes. Sure it was bad, but we boys kept tuning in for one reason – Dana Plato. The “plot” of any particular episode was irrelevant.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I think the messages directed at kids came out of an incident where there was a throw-away line on Happy Days where the Fonz said he had a library card and library saw a huge increase in kids getting library cards. Of course, the 80s were the heyday of preaching "Just Say No" and "Stranger Danger" to kids, so I guess someone decided TV sitcoms was a way to reach kids. I also think some of these shows won Emmys, so other shows followed the trend.

      I was a huge fan of Sledge Hammer my senior year of high school. It is hard to watch now, because I have worked with guys like Sledge in my radio career. I really thought I'd be working with Johnny and Venus. Another thing is many of the jokes are dated, so if you weren't around in 1987, they aren't funny. I also noticed the production value of it looks cheap.

      My mother always said she liked Perfect Strangers because it was a lot like Mork and Mindy. I think it may have been the same writers. You're right it is a let down know. The Professor mentioned Williams stand up act. After you have seen that, Mork is kind of a dork (Although, I didn't remember that Mindy was that hot).

      ReplyDelete
    6. I LAUGHED when you mentioned Sledgehammer XD I loved that show too, when I was a kid. Now....ugh...XP

      Really enjoying these podcasts!

      ReplyDelete
    7. My top three disappoints:

      Mission:Impossible. If you had asked me a few years ago, I would have told you this was one of the best TV shows ever. Then I watched again. It is maybe the most painfully slow show ever. Each episode is 10 minutes of a cool plot stretched out over an hour. I was so stoked when the show became available on Netflix. I worshiped it when I was a kid. But, yikes!

      In one of the first episodes I watched, this actually happened: Barney needed to attach a gizmo to the phone line in a building. We see him climb over a fence. He runs through some bushes. He picks a lock on a door. He walks down a corridor. He comes to a panel. He unscrews four screws. He gets his gizmo, clips some wires, and attaches it. Then he puts the lid back on the panel and SCREWS ALL FOUR SCREWS BACK IN! It took ten minutes!!! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

      The Six Million Dollar Man. I had the toys. I had the lunchbox. I loved it! But, man! It is Walker Texas Ranger bad. Cheap and stupid.

      Brace yourself for this next one.

      All in the Family. I understand that it is important and I was there when it rocked America. But it is just not funny. At all. Four unpleasant, hard-to-look-at people being hateful to each other. Loudly. Sledgehammer messages pounding on your head. Watching it again these days feels like licking an ashtray. It just does not hold up.

      You know what does hold up? Jonny Quest!

      ReplyDelete